The role the roof of a house plays cannot be underestimated. It provides the occupants with protection against every kind of weather. At the same time, a roof serves a crucial structural purpose, stabilizing the house and providing important cover for everything inside it.
Clearly, the more robust and hard-wearing the materials used, the longer they will last. As can be expected, the more expensive the materials are, the better quality and the more long-lasting they will be. The different material options are discussed as a useful guide for homeowners wondering which ones to use.
Understanding the Average Life of a Shingle Roof: Factors Affecting its Longevity
To determine what is the average life of a shingle roof, the roof materials must be considered first.
- What is a Shingle Roof?
Shingle roofing has been around for about 100 years and is the most common roofing. Their usage and popularity grew as innovations in designs and the availability of shingle tile types occurred. Any shingle roofing company will determine a shingle roof’s lifespan mostly according to the choice of materials.
- Asphalt Roof Shingles
A common roofing material, asphalt roof shingles have a shingle roof lifespan that is shorter than others, and LA roofing contractors may advise that asphalt roof shingles are not suited to hot climates.
- Concrete Roof Shingles are popular due to their wide range of interesting styles. They are highly resistant to rough weather conditions the life of a shingle roof using concrete roof shingle is amongst the best.
- Clay Roof Shingles are tough and a popular choice with a long shingle roof lifespan. While paying more, they will have a long warranty, reducing the likelihood of a shingle roof replacement for perhaps as long as a generation. An LA roofing company is sure to recommend them for local use due to their heat-tolerant properties.
- Rubber Roof shingles are a good bet as they are inexpensive and have an average shingle roof lifespan of up to 30 years.
- Wood Roof Shingles may be the choice of a shingle roof company for rustic designs and home styles where they are best suited. While being quite costly, their shingle roof lifespan and low shingle roof repair rate are plus factors.
- Metal Roof Shingles are tough and can be installed when a shingle roof replacement over an asphalt shingle roof is required. The shingle roof lifespan of metal roof shingles is over 50 years.
- Composite Roof Shingles are another option, consisting of a combination of asphalt, mineral, and fiberglass. This shingle roof lifespan will vary according to the nature of the composite roof shingle chosen.
Factors Affecting the Life of a Shingle Roof
Keeping a shingle roof in sound condition depends on the materials used, the location of the house, and how it was installed and maintained.
- Materials used vary according to quality, design, and durability, all of which have an influence on the amount of shingle roof repair needed going forward.
- Concrete and clay roof shingles may be the choice of many a LA roofing company as they are better suited to the harsher warm climates that are characteristic of LA. Harsh climatic conditions will affect the shingle roof lifespan, so make sure the shingles chosen are appropriate for the weather conditions.
- Make sure the shingle roofing company that does the installation has a good track record. Poor installation is one of the factors that lead to early LA roof repair and later shingle roof replacement.
- Biannual maintenance checks are advised by a qualified shingle roofing company. Regular maintenance will prolong the life of a shingle roof and end up saving money in the long run.
Average Life of a Shingle Roof
As the materials used have a bearing on the lifespan of the roof, so does the way it was installed, and how it is maintained. Therefore, expect to find some roofs lasting longer than others, within a range that has an upper or lower limit as shown below:
The average lifespan of different types of roofs includes:
- Roof made of asphalt shingles has a shingle roof lifespan of 10-30 years.
- Roof made of rubber shingles has a shingle roof lifespan of 30 years.
- Roof made of composite shingles has a shingle roof lifespan of 20-50 years.
- Roof made of wood shingles has a shingle roof lifespan of 30-40 years
- Clay, concrete, and metal shingles have a shingle roof lifespan of more than 50 years.
It’s advisable to have an LA roofing company on hand to do regular shingle roof repair and maintenance when needed to prolong the life of the shingle roof.
Signs of Shingle Roof Aging and Damage
Identifying and treating shingle roof damage or deterioration through regular maintenance helps lengthen the shingle roof lifespan. There are a few common signs of wear and tear to look out for:
- Shingles curling at the edges.
- Bruising of the shingle roof time through damage by the likes of hailstones.
- Missing shingles as a result of adverse weather conditions.
- Cupping of shingle roof tiles through aging.
Homeowners can identify these themselves or ask a shingle roofing company to inspect the roof and perform routine maintenance on the roof to prevent further damage.
Repair and Replacement Options for Shingle Roofs
Expect some repair work as the shingle roof ages. Applying a roof patch or shingle roof repair is far cheaper than a shingle roof replacement. As shingle roofs will last longer with ongoing maintenance, it makes financial sense rather do an LA roof repair than to have to replace a shingle roof.
If the shingle roof sags or deteriorates to such an extent that the repairs are too extensive, it could mean that a shingle roof replacement is necessary. This could occur due to severe weather conditions or simply because of aging. In this case, it’s best to consult an LA roofing company for advice.
Some Good Advice
A sound roof is needed to protect a home from outside elements. Once there is evidence of a shingle roof starting to deteriorate, whether the shingles are wearing or the roof is leaking, damage control is needed.
To avoid this make sure regular maintenance is done to extend the life of a shingle roof. When in doubt about the condition of a shingle roof, contact a shingle roofing company straight away for advice. LA roof repair done in time could prevent a costly shingle roof replacement.
Questions & Answers
How long can I expect my shingle roof to last?
What factors can impact the lifespan of a shingle roof?
What are some signs that indicate a shingle roof is aging or damaged?
Can a shingle roof be repaired, or does it need to be replaced once it reaches the end of its lifespan?
Are there any maintenance tips that can help prolong the lifespan of a shingle roof?